Shenzhen has 10 checkpoints in total, composed of eight land ports and two sea ports. The five most well-known land ports are:
- Luohu (open 06:30 – 00:00) This one is most popular, in Luohu district, so a bit to the east.
- HuangGang (open 24 hours per day) Often used to travel to HKIA, also quite busy
- Futian (open 06:30 – 22:30) Less well known
- Shenzhen Bay (open 06:30 – 23:30) New crossing at the end of the long bridge in Shekou, good option instead of the ferry
And the two sea ports:
- Shekou (see article about Shenzhen Ferry )
- Fuyong passenger terminals.
If you need to cross the border between Hong Kong and Shenzhen after midnight, you only have one option: the 24-hours border crossing at HuangGang custom.
There’s some confusion about the names HuangGang and the Cantonese name Lok Ma Chau.
- Lok Ma Chau will usually imply the HuangGang/Lok Ma Chau 24-hours border crossing. But Lok Ma Chau is likewise the title of the MTR railway station at the border crossing with Futian custom!
- HuangGuang will typically mean the same 24-hours border crossing, but HuangGuang also used to refer to the last station of Shenzhen’s line 2 metro in the Futian border crossing. Note this has been changed into Futian Custom subway stop, so it makes more sense now.
|Shenzhen||Hong Kong||Opening||Subway Shenzhen||HongKong MTR||Other|
|Luohu||Lo Wu||06:30 – 00:00||Shenzhen Line 1 (06:30 – 23:00), station LuoHu, extends to Shenzhen Airport in 2011||MTR East Rail Line last stop (Lo Wu)
connects to KowLoon (about 42 minutes / ~33HK$)
|Shenzhen Rail Station, many busses / taxis|
|HuangGang||Lok Ma Chau||24 hours||–||–||Busses & cars to Hong Kong Airport|
|Futian||Lok Ma Chau||06:30 – 22:30||Shenzhen Line 4 (06:30 – 23:00), station Futian Custom,
exchange to line 1 at Exhibition Center
|MTR East Rail Line to Lok Ma Chau station (from Hung Hom)||/|
|Shenzhen Bay||Shenzhen Wan||06:30 – 23:30||–||–||Cars to Hong Kong Airport|